Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Keening

The Keening is a movement meditation on Grief; a journey from heartbreak to healing. It is only when we can fully sit in our grief, to embody and feel it completely that we can then move through it. Without conscious acknowledgement and embodiment, grief lurks in the collective shadow and clings to us mercilessly. A week after the Haiti Earthquake, I was attending a yoga class at the studio in midtown I frequent. I was on my menstrual cycle, usually a woman's most psychic, powerful and empathic time of the month. As such, I had been offering healing meditations to people of Haiti earlier that day. When we sat in the beginning of the yoga class, our hands in prayer pose to join in the sound of Om, my wrists began to experience pain they had never felt. The pain was so severe that tears began to stream down my face as we chanted. I felt the grief of Haiti in my wrists. The heightened empathy of my menstrual cycle plugged me into the collective pain body and global suffering from the Earthquake. A week after the quake, I felt our disjointed movement of aid, hands giving and hands unable to receive, the disjointed flow of energy as mothers reached for children, children for parents, long distance relatives for missing family. The flow of life form one hand, not reaching the other. A flood of grief moved through my body. I felt the desperation of the Haitian people, the grief of those trying to support a community in chaos and the grief of the Haitian people not being able to receive aid due to the unstable environment. I offer this short film as a meditation. To move through the places in the physical body where grief is being held and to move through the collective pain body where our ancient and collective grief is held. May we all experience universal healing.

The Keening