Thursday, January 28, 2010

Imbolc Passion & Sensuous Magic


Beloved Friends,

I just returned from a breath-taking trip to Vermont to visit with my dearest friend and first spiritual teacher, a Celtic Witch who resides in a small cape house surrounded by snow-capped mountains. During my days with her, I kept having a very strange feeling over-take my body. I was frequently in an altered state and my level of arousal was animal-like. All day I would feel a heat and tingling in my sacrum, womb-center and along the back of my neck, like being in a constant state of heightened peace-inducing passion. It wasn't until we moved into ritual together that I realized that it was the quickening I was feeling - the orgasmic life-force energy of the Earth was beginning to build as nature began to contemplate Spring. In the waves of Winters Magic she and I dove into the energies of the season and created a beautiful Imbolc ritual in the hayloft of her barn surround by melting snow and a deep silence. The magic of connecting with the season was instantaneous and I was reminded how infinite our true nature is when we simply open to it.

In the wheel of the year, this time is known as Imbolc. Imbolc is the mid point between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. The days are slowly growing longer and there is a quickening and magic present in the air. Brigit, the Celtic Goddess sacred to this holy time, is a young bride, maiden and keeper of the holy flame and sacred well who encourages us to cast off the fallen past year and look to the quickening and growing warmth within our own belly and sex center as the light continues her return.

Holy wells and sacred flames, the sacred symbols to Brigit are symbols of passion, sensuality and rebirth. Set aside a special time to connect with the energies of Imbolc and reflect on - What part of yourself is rebirthing? What is the fire in your belly igniting? If you surrendered fearlessly to your passion where would it lead you?

Wishing you Imbolc Blessings!
ISIS Phoenix